Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nugget of wisdom...

Have to throw this out there as well before I forget. When we first started going to Oso Creek several years back our very first life group leader dropped a giant nugget of wisdom in our lap. We only had one child at the time and he was probably around 1. That leader said something like this, "Make sure you discipline your children because someone in this life is going to. Whether it is the world, the law, or you." Wow. That is the truth. If I don't discipline my kids, somebody else will do it for me at some point. That could be a teacher at school or Judge Vargas at the county court house.

I bring this up because I think this discipline spills over into the financial world as well. Right now, Jess and I are being disciplined by VISA and Pizza Hut.

I have to admit that until recently I hadn't given much thought to how to teach my kids what it means to be a responsible steward of the money that we have. Honestly I have thought more along the lines of being responsible with the things that we buy with the money God gives us after we buy them, not necessarily how we spend the money (as long as we get that tithe check in the offering plate, right?) I know Jess and I try to teach our kids many things by setting the example and I do believe that is one of the best and most effective ways to teach things, and yet I see us failing miserably in this department when it comes to $$$!!

I wonder if I am alone in this. Have you given much thought into how to teach your child how to be a good steward with the money that comes into his/her life? I would love to hear your thoughts on all this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FPU has revolutionized how we discuss money with our kids. Dave Ramsey once said he has enough money now so that if his kids do stupid things with theirs he can pay people to be mean to them! I am amazed at how my kids soak up our money lessons. Have Tom tell you how he explained credit to Marc. After the 10 minute "lesson", Marc declared, "Credit cards are REALLY DUMB!" I see so many people around me giving their teens credit cards - even the pre-filled ones that don't work when the money runs out - and I just think, "You are teaching your kid how to go into debt!" But they think they are doing their kids a favor by "building up their credit". Our society has this so wrong and I love following Biblical principles of money management. That is probably the most fun thing about FPU - passing it on to our kids.

If you were to ask Marc "How do you get money?" He would answer, "Go to work." Some lessons take years to teach children but this is one very satisfying one with quick results.

Pam Teel said...

As a child growing up, we didn't have much, but I never knew it. Somehow my needs were always met and I was never told how difficult the money situation was. I used to think I was blessed, but now I believe that's a curse, because I wasn't taught how to deal with money. And 56 years old is a little late to learn.